
My Pastor turns forty on Thursday. That's right...Chip Henderson meets The Big 4-0. We've been celebrating all week by giving him grief over it. Now, before you think we are mean and unjust please know that my Pastor looks like he is 29. He has always been athletic and is now an avid marathon runner who has stayed in great shape physically. He has boundless energy (all those Mountain Dews) and he works to live his life in balance spiritually, emotionally, relationally and physically. So, when we get the chance to give him a hard time about something we take full advantage. In man world, we call that love. The grief (love) has flowed this week repeatedly.
All of that aside, can I tell you something about Chip? He's the best Pastor I know. So today, in honor of his 40th birthday, I'm going to tell you why I think it is a joy to serve alongside him in ministry and life.
1. Chip is the real deal. He is the same on Monday as he is on Sunday. He challenges our church and staff to live in this manner at all times (It's not just church, its life!) and he strives for it as well. Many people have described Chip's preaching as relevant and practical (which it is) but I think the best thing about him is that he is authentic. He's real. He tells stuff on himself (and us) and doesn't pretend to be perfect. I have found him to be painfully and confessionally honest and in so doing he has given permission for us to be honest as well. Thanks, Chip, for keeping it real.
2. Chip is a worshipper of God. Preachers who don't worship bother me. If the heart of the Christian life is to love God with all of your heart, soul, and mind, then my thought is that the Pastor must lead the Body in being a lover of God. Not just a preacher about God but a lover of God. I love the fact that my pastor is a worshipper. He worships and prays and meets God every morning for his own life and soul satisfaction. He worships before he preaches and after he preaches. He worships when He runs and when he is in his truck. Have you noticed that when myself, or Robert or Michael is preaching that he still comes to church (and even listens)? It's not because he is checking up on us but because He is a worshipper of the Almighty God first and then he is a minister.
3. Chip loves the word of God. This is obvious and is the "secret" of what God has accomplished at Pinelake. His constant passion is to push us all to be Biblical and to live our lives with the word of God as our compass for daily living. He studies diligently and strives to always begin with the text by meditating on what God is saying so that he can help us make application. It is labor intensive and time consuming and requires discipline. He spends at least 25-30 hours every week submerged under the weight of the Word so that he might rise up on Sunday and give us fresh water for living. He validates the truth of 2 Timothy 3:16-17 in every way. Chip, keep loving and preaching the Word to us so that we may all be complete in Jesus Christ.
4. Chip loves his family. It can be a strain to be the Pastor of such a large church with all of the needs and requests and expectations of so many people and to be a faithful husband and present dad. But I tell you, my Pastor loves his family and he sees them as his first ministry. Christy, Rachel, McKenzie and Ragan are the center of his world and he longs to be a good leader of his own house. Our church "wins" when Chips family "wins" and so I ask you to join me in praying for our Pastor and his family. It is not a testimony to the world of how Great our God is if our church is growing and our staff families are dying. So please pray for all our Pastors and their families to be Christ-centered, healthy, peaceful, and whole.
5. Chip is still Chip. When I met Chip 18 years ago he was approachable, friendly and humble. When God called Chip to Pinelake over 8 years ago, he was approachable, friendly, and humble. When we relocated to the new location 3 years ago as a church of 2500 he was approachable, friendly, and humble. Today, as a multi-site mega-church Senior Pastor of over 6000 people, a sprawling campus and large staff, Chip is still approachable, friendly and humble. Chip is still Chip. And the posture of his heart has remained humble and right. Chip, just stay Chip for the next 40 and we will be alright.
Please note that I do not have notions that Chip is perfect. I know that he is not. But I tell you, He is the best pastor I know. It is an honor to serve with him and to call him my friend.
Chipper, Happy 40th Birthday.
