Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A Heart Set On Eternity

Yesterday I went to the funeral of the grandmother of two dear friends of mine. She was obviously a person full of life: still working into her 70s and a huge Atlanta Braves fan. She had quite a reputation in her community for loving those around her with fabulous southern cooking from her table. She was also a godly matriarch who left her loved ones a tremendous heritage of deep faith and love. I can’t begin to imagine the weight of loss that her family will bear in her absence.

Among her final requests, she asked to be buried in her pajamas (smile). Her desire was to testify to her family and to us that she had merely “fallen asleep” and is now at the feet of Jesus. She knew that this world was not her home. Her heart’s home has always been with her Lord. Her steadfast faith and generosity toward others flowed from that single confidence.

As the service came to a close I thought about this verse in Colossians:
“….we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints; BECAUSE of the hope laid up for you in heaven….”.
That was certainly true of her.

I pray that when my days on this earth end, that my life will resemble that of this precious lady. That it will bear the fruit of a heart set on eternity.